Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Type added

A while back I posted something about a t-shirt design I was working on which had 3 caricatures on it....
See it here if you must.
Anyway I still needed to the lettering.... so I did.
I tried out a few different styles but soon enough arrived at a chunky script which was loose yet bold enough to correctly balance out the whole piece.


The on on the left (the lazy option) was too fascist looking. The other one to scrawny (and wobbly for that matter).

For the final version I did some sketches using a brush, which I have never done before. I've been practicing my brush-scripts, but I never actually used it.... well I haven't really used it this time but it helpful to kind of study the shapes and then base drawings on them. Just to make my lettershapes a bit more natural. One day I just have to retouch and scan in my brushed work, but seeing as I'm a clumsy lefty that day won't be tomorrow soon...
Anyway check out the sketches and the subsequent result.



For the "Noordwijk's own" and "TATTOO" I used the 'Poster' from the Housemovements collection (which came free with the House Industries Book). Did the trick beautifully. Don't you think?

No comments: